Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Rediscovery

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

I remember in college when I chose to major in business that I decided I needed to learn how to golf. Golfing was a requirement on business trips or on outings with colleagues, right? I was lucky enough to have a roommate on the swim team (who got priority registration) who registered for a beginning golf class for me (and an intermediate class the next semester). You see, golf (and any other cool class) always filled up before I even had the chance to register. So Amy would register for the class, then one random day late in the summer we would call each other up and I would add the class just seconds after she dropped it. Worked like a charm.

So anyway, I took a couple golf classes and fell in love with the sport. I was never really that great, but I learned how to hold and swing the club, as well as some tips and tricks that helped with technique. The problem was that I was a poor college student, and I didn't really have any friends who golfed, so I didn't make it to the golf course that often. After I graduated, I golfed on par 3 courses a handful of times with some friends in Boise, but that was it. I probably haven't been golfing in close to 7 years, and I think the last time I even hit a bucket of balls was 6 years ago!

My friends have spent the entire summer playing tennis. I have tried playing with them a couple times, but I really suck, so it's not much fun for anyone. I even took a few tennis classes in hopes that I might get good enough to hold my own in a game, but no such luck. I am a little better, but I still have a long ways to go. I decided maybe tennis isn't my sport. This weekend when everyone was out playing tennis, I brushed all the cobwebs off my golf bag (literally!) and headed to the driving range. While there, I fell in love with golf all over again. A golf swing feels so much more natural to me than a tennis swing, and I actually had some pretty decent hits! I was a little frustrated (I always said golf has to be one of the most frustrating sports!) because I had a pretty bad slice on many of my hits (hitting several over the fence just to my right!), but the rest soared straight where I was aiming :-) I even hit quite a few right around the 150 yard marker, so I was happy with that.

I definitely rediscovered my love for golf, and think I'll have to head out to the range a lot more often... Maybe in the spring I'll take some lessons and hopefully get to the point where I'm comfortable out on the course again!

0 comments: