Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Not in Stock

Wednesday, March 16, 2011
I have been shopping at the same Albertsons store (on Ustick and Five Mile) for pretty much my entire life.  I remember shopping there with my mom when I was younger, and it has been my sole grocery destination since I moved into my house over 7 years ago.  I probably stop in there 2-3 times a week on average, and I recognize all the store clerks (just as they recognize me).  There are some I like more than others, and will often stand in a longer line to get my favorite clerk (I almost never do self checkout - I feel like I am paying a "premium" for them to scan and bag my groceries!).

Anyway, I have always loved my Albertsons because they carry everything I ever want and I know pretty much right where everything is.  I can be in and out with my cart of groceries very quickly.  I did, however, recently ask that they carry a new product... I fell in love with the Greek Gods honey flavored greek yogurt, and wanted them to carry the larger containers instead of just the small, individual-sized ones.  I was certain they would comply with my request, seeing as I'm a regular customer and the fact that the small ones were almost always out of stock (I assume because everyone else loved them too).  I even printed out a request sheet and gave it to them.  MUCH to my dismay, a short time later they completely stopped carrying the Greek Gods greek yogurt all together!!!  What???  How rude.

Well, I decided this could actually be a good thing for me.  Maybe Albertsons knows what I really need.  The truth is, the Greek Gods yogurt probably wasn't the best thing for me... If you clicked on the link and looked at the nutritional information, you would have seen that my delicious honey flavored yogurt had 250 calories, 14 grams of fat, and only 6 grams of protein... probably not the top on a list of "healthy" snacks - somewhat deceiving, right?  So Albertsons choice to discontinue carrying my yogurt has forced me into trying new yogurts.  I already knew I didn't love the yoplait brand - my mom introduced me to yoplait greek yogurt a year or so ago and I didn't care for it.  I recently tried the Chobani greek yogurt, and decided I kind of like it (in fact I just ate a pineapple flavor for snack!).  This brand is much healthier too, ranging from 100-160 calories, 0-2.5 grams of fat, and 13-14 grams of protein.  It isn't quite as delicious as my Greek Gods yogurt, but figure I'm already sacrificing by eating yogurt instead of a chocolate chip cookie, so a switch in brands shouldn't be that much larger a sacrifice :-)

0 comments: