Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Seriously, What Do you Do...

Wednesday, September 12, 2007
... with this many tomatoes? This is just my harvest from tonight. It consists of 64 roma tomatoes and 53 grape tomatoes. And that's after I threw out all the ones that were split or looked like they might have been snacked on by the roly polys in my garden (who knew that roly polys like tomatoes?). Did I mention that I only planted 4 tomato plants this year - 2 grape and 2 roma? Anyway, I made fresh salsa with the tomatoes I picked last week and have been snacking on that... I'm not sure that I have the ambition to can salsa. Any other suggestions on what to do with this many tomatoes???

6 comments:

Mandi said...

Are the rolly pollys still hungry? If not, maybe you should just take them to work and put them in the break room - free food always boosts my morale!

Corinne said...

Way to go Idaho! Our garden took a serious down fall this week. I am not sure what happened but I wish I could borrow some of your yummy looking tomotoes for my avacado sandwhiches- Yum!

Jroo said...

Hop on your motorcycle, stick the tomatoes in a sack, and randomly throw them up and over your head when you're on the freeway.

Or you could make a new ice cream flavor.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the great suggestion Drew! :-) So my mom mentioned that she had heard you could freeze whole tomatoes with their skins on. I decided to google it, and sure enough, I had lots of hits. I think I'm gonna give it a try!

Lisa O said...

i like drew's suggestions. and i still think you should give salsa canning a try. :)

* Stephanie said...

I've never done canning before, but I know that Michael's mom cans salsa and chili sauce. And there is a lady in our ward who cans tomoto soup, spaghettis sauce, and just cans plain tomatos.