Saturday, January 12, 2008

I Love Google Reader

Saturday, January 12, 2008
Google Reader is one of my very favorite tools on the computer. In fact, with the exception of checking my home email address, I think Google Reader is the only other tool I use on a daily basis. Basically what I do is "subscribe" to my friends' blogs, local and national news sites, recipe sites, home decorating sites, etc. Google Reader constantly "reads" all of those sites and makes it easy for me to see when something new is posted. I used to spend way too much time visiting all my favorite sites even if new content had not been added. Now, I can see at a glance when there is something new. Unfortunately, Google Reader doesn't read private blogs, but it has worked for every other site I have tried.Another reason I like Google Reader is that it allows me to easily share my favorite content with other people. There is an "email" icon at the end of each post if I want to email an article or blog post to a certain person. There is also a "Share" icon. I share articles that I find interesting and that I think others that I know read my Shared Items will find interesting. I also like the "tag" feature. At this time, I only use tag to tag recipes that I want to show up on my recipe blog, but it can also be used to organize the posts.

I'm stealing this next paragraph from Sally who recently posted about Reader too :-)
To start, go to Google Reader. Sign in with your Google account. Click the Add Subscription link in the green box on the left-hand side and type or paste a blog address. Click the gray "Add" button and away you go! You can even categorize your list if you click the blue "Manage Subscriptions" link in the lower right-hand corner of the left side bar.

I know this post was pretty long, but I hope that it is helpful! I love Google Reader!

2 comments:

Val said...

I've heard so much about Google Reader and I appreciate you telling us all why it is so wonderful. I think I'll give it a try!

Sally said...

I'm so glad you saw the post. I should have waited about 10 hours and would have had all the work done for me! :) I did it for the same reason you did. I have a lot of extended family family who live far away and they are a bit shy about using the internet. I wanted to give people the CHANCE to try. It's so easy, I hope at least one person creates a blog because of it.

After your post, I think I'll try using Google Reader for even more now. Thanks for the tips! It's been great staying in touch through blogging and have a blogging buddy!