Saturday, May 03, 2008

Boise Farmers Market

Saturday, May 03, 2008
Reason number 503,467 that I love Boise... the weekend Farmer's Market. This morning a group of us rode our bicycles along the beautiful Boise greenbelt into downtown where we visited the Farmer's Market. From April through October, 8th street is lined with local merchants and farmers selling hand-crafted goods and freshly grown flowers, produce, etc. I love supporting the local farmers, and try to visit the market several times over the course of the summer. By purchasing locally grown food, I not only get fresher food, but am helping the environment (it is more sustainable to purchase locally rather than trucking in food). This was my first trip of the year to the market, and I purchased a bag of delicious dried cinnamon sugar apple bites, a container of creamy wild salmon ravioli, and some fabulous fresh feta cheese. Yummy!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

I love going to farmers' markets. My mom grew up on a farm, and I always loved Grandpa's corn way better than anyone elses.

By the way... I might have lied that Robin & I have been friends for a while... I met her Thursday, and we thought it would be funny to see how long it took you to see a pic of her on my blog! She is great!

Robin said...

Waaa! I miss Boise! The farmers markets don't even get started until July here. It is really hard to grow food here because of the altitude.

You so lucky.

Liz said...

That sounds so fun! I really need to find a farmers market here. Fresh produce tastes so much better! And it is great to support local farmers. Yum!

Nancy said...

Did I see on Robin's blog that you're coming to Utah? We have to get together! Link through my blog to my photo website, and call me. Or you can always email me.

Val said...

I must go there before I move! How did I miss out on this for so long?

Jessica said...

Kim... you'll have to do it again when I can go... I am so sad that I missed out... oh well I am one dress closer to my 27 dresses!...haha... anyhow I'll talk to you later I am sure!

Corinne said...

I am so jealous Kim! I went last summer with the kids and loved it. We bought the biggest, yummiest cinnamon roll there ever was. We were in heaven! I am sad we won't be coming to Idaho this summer :(

Mandi said...

I love farmer's markets. The Moscow market just started up last weekend, but apparently the farmer part of it isn't up and running ie:no fruit yet. So . . . I think it should really just be called the market until then. Hopefully the weather is nice this weekend so you can go again.