Friday, May 23, 2008

Healthy Living Challenge

Friday, May 23, 2008
I saw this great idea on my friend Jennie's blog and decided this is exactly what I needed... So on Monday, a few of my co-workers and I started this "Healthy Living Challenge". Here's how it works: There's a list of 10 things we are supposed to do every day. You get one point for every completed item each day, and Sundays are free (you get all 10 points)! Whoever has the most points at the end of the challenge (we picked August 1st) wins :-) I love this idea because it's all about balance and overall health.

1) Get 7 hours of sleep
2) 30 minutes of exercise
3) 30 additional minutes of exercise
4) No sweet treats (cookies, candy, ice cream, etc.)
5) 64 oz. of water, milk, or juice
6) 5 servings of fruits/vegetables
7) No unhealthy snacks or soda
8) No eating after dinner or 8 pm
9) 15 minutes of uplifting reading (scriptures, etc.)
10) Personal habit of choice (practicing instrument, journal writing, reading to kids, etc.)

So far I've done pretty well... I had 9 points the first three days of the week (it's SO hard for me to get in 5 servings of fruits and veggies!) and I got all 10 points yesterday! I was getting ready for bed (gotta get in bed so I can get my 7+ hours of sleep!) and realized I hadn't done number 10 - personal habit of choice. I decided blogging counts as a personal habit so had to get on and get this posted today :-)

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Good luck. I'd never be able to do #8. I like to eat with my hubby, and he doesn't get done with work until 9:30. Keep posting to let us know how it's working for you!

The Cowan Family said...

I love that you are doing it also! It really gets tough after the first week, when the excitement wears off. We're going on week 8, and I'm not so sure the no sweets idea is a good one for my pregnant body! Let us know how it goes...

Mandi said...

In this post, was "yesterday" a Sunday?!?! :) It sounds like a good challenge - I may have to try it!

Steph said...

Wowzers...good luck! 4,7, & 8 would KILL me...maybe I should do it then so my eating habits would straighten up a little! :)

Liz said...

What a great challenge! Maybe I'll give it a try!

Corinne said...

Great idea Kim! I want to join you guys too.