Thursday, September 25, 2008

Women's Fitness Celebration

Thursday, September 25, 2008
Today I was informed by my coworker Mandy that I was going to lose my blogging fan base if I didn't post soon about the Women's Fitness Celebration, so I figured I had better get right on it :-) The truth is, I would have blogged on Saturday immediately following the race if I had taken my camera with me instead of relying on someone else. So I have semi-patiently been waiting for almost a week now for a picture so I could post. Guess you'll just have to wait a little longer to see me looking like a drowned rat. Why a drowned rat you ask? Well, because it POURED the entire race! I woke up Saturday morning to thunder, lightening, and pouring rain. Ugh! If I hadn't been training for 3 months for the race, I am pretty sure I would have just gone back to bed. But there was no way I was going to give up what I had worked so hard for.

We were told to arrive at the start of the race 30 minutes early, but this year that meant getting soaked before the race even started. I'm sure that was lovely since we were all wearing white race shirts :-) I felt pretty good the entire race. I felt like I was running at a good pace and not once did I think I wasn't going to be able to run anymore. I am super proud of myself because I accomplished my goal of running the entire 5k (no walking!). I also accomplished my secondary goal - I ran the race in exactly 30 minutes and zero seconds (the clock at the end of the race said 29:35, but my official time was 30:00). Hooray! That's under a 10 minute mile. I thought that was pretty good for barely being able to run a mile 3 months ago. I'm still not to the point that many of my friends are - I don't just love running, but I definitely don't hate it as much as I used to. I have a few more short races planned between now and the end of the year, so I guess I'll have to keep up the training!

Here's a picture of my team the Cutler Crew. This is before the race and before we were soaking wet!

3 comments:

Steph said...

I am sooooo proud of you!!!!!! under 10 min miles is so amazing!!! You should be so happy and proud for accomplishing this goal!

The Thackers said...

Yay!! You are ahead of me, I want to not hate running but I've only tried once in the last 2 months. That is awesome to finish so quickly. Congrats!

Liz said...

YEAH!!! Congratulations! You did great- under 10 minute miles! I'm sure the rain just made it more memorable. :) How fun!