Friday, March 20, 2009

For the Love of Politics

Friday, March 20, 2009
I have never been super politically active. I mean, I vote every election (I even try to make it to the school board elections), and I try to stay up on the headlines of the major political agenda items, but I have never researched proposed bills, contacted a legislator, etc. And I know this is going to sound bad, but after the most recent election, I would have to think pretty hard in order to name all the major elected officials representing me.

I decided that I wanted to change this. I truly believe it is my right (and even duty) as a citizen to be informed and to express opinions to those who make decisions on my behalf. Earlier this year I joined Boise Young Professionals, and decided I wanted to take an active part in the Community and Civic Involvement committee. I figured not only could I contribute to planning service projects (my passion), but that I would have the opportunity to learn and get more involved on the political front. This Wednesday, our committee put on an event "For the Love of Politics". I wasn't actually involved in all the details, since I didn't have many (or any) connections in this area, but I was fascinated as I listened to 6 young(ish) panelists talk about how they got involved in politics, as well as touch on important topics facing us today - transportation, air quality, and urban renewal. I came out of that meeting having a greater appreciation for those who serve in the political arena, as well as a greater desire to stay more informed. I really thought the panel was fascinating. If you are interested in listening to the discussion, you're in luck! The event was recorded so you can enjoy it too :-)

0 comments: