Monday, May 23, 2011

New Recipes

Monday, May 23, 2011
Looking for something new to change up your dinner menus?  I tried a couple new recipes last night and they were both fantastic.  I adapted them slightly based on the food I had and to my liking.

Plantain Tacos - adapted from Beachbody
2 large plantains, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
black beans, rinsed and drained
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
black olives, chopped
1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
juice of 1 lime
avocado, sliced
whole wheat tortillas
  • saute onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.  Add sliced plantain until lightly browned (if plantain was green, boil first until tender... I used a ripe plantain so just put it straight into the saute pan)
  • assemble taco with plantain, beans, tomatoes, olives, cabbage, avocado, and top with lime juice
I think this recipe would be good without the tortillas too - just eat with other ingredients from a bowl!


Corn and Black Bean Salad - adapted from cdkitchen
1 cup roasted corn - cut off the cob (I just roasted the ears in foil on my barbecue)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 chopped red bell pepper
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, diced (optional)
juice of 2 limes
5 green onions, chopped
2 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cumin

Mix all ingredients and enjoy!  I ate this like a salad, but it can be eaten as a salsa too.

0 comments: