Saturday, July 23, 2011

People Need People

Saturday, July 23, 2011
I've been thinking about this little phrase a lot lately... people need people.  We need people when we're down to buoy us up.  We need people when we're going through trials to strengthen us and encourage us.  We need people when we're happy to share in those joyous moments.  We just need people.

I have several friends who are going through some really rough patches right now... I think that it is times like these that I remember the importance of friends, and why I need to be a good friend.  Last week I received a call from a friend who needed a "dinner date" because she recently had her heart broken and didn't want to be alone.  I think God knew that my friend would need me that evening, because I had stayed at work 30 minutes later than normal on a Friday night and received her text just before I was getting on my motorcycle to go home.  If I hadn't stayed late, and hadn't received her text just then, I know I would have been all the way across town and probably would have already eaten dinner before I saw that she wanted to go out.  Our dinner together raised both of our spirits.

Also last week, I received an email from another friend who is going through a difficult trial right now.  I have been blessed in that I have the freedom to pick up and fly across the country to be with her at the drop of a hat.  Her mom is with her right now, but when she needs me to be with her and support her further, I know I can be there for her.  For now, I hope that my constant thoughts and prayers can strengthen her and her family.

I am thankful for those people in my life who I know are always there for me...

2 comments:

siredge said...

Emily and I had a similar sort of needing "people" moment earlier this week. We bought a new-to-us Toyota Sequoia on a great deal. We were excited and wanted to share our excitement. I kept considering whether it would seem like I was trying to show off when what I really wanted to people to share my good fortune.

Lisa O said...

Amen Kim. I sure love you. You are a wonderful friend to so many. Glad to be one of them!