Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Colorado Trip

Tuesday, October 18, 2011
I had the best weekend, so thought I would share all about it here :-)  A couple months ago, my friend Robin contacted me and asked if I would get tickets for the BSU/Colorado State football game for herself and her husband Roland.  I like to go to one away game each year, so I decided maybe I should join them.  I was super excited when Matt said he would come with me for the weekend, and I went ahead and bought the game tickets, booked flight and hotel, and patiently waited for this weekend to come.  I remember when we booked our trip that it seemed sooo far away!

It was a quick trip - we flew out early Saturday morning and came home late Sunday night, but we packed a lot in!  Matt is from Loveland, Colorado, so it was really special to see where he grew up.  We spent a lot of time Saturday morning driving around Matt's old stomping grounds.  Loveland is beautiful - set along the mountains, lots of trees, a couple big lakes in the middle of town, several parks, etc.  We saw the houses he grew up in, his neighborhood pool, his high school, the places he worked, etc.  We also went up to Estes Park (home of the Stanley Hotel), and "Little Estes Park" (it has another name, but that is what Matt called it!)... At Little Estes Park, we took a "secret trail" that Matt took when he was younger that led down to the river where he could skip rocks.  I could just imagine him as a little kid hanging out at this park :-)
Saturday afternoon was the football game!  It was great to connect and catch up with Robin & Roland.  We tailgated with them and some of their CSU friends, and then headed in to the game to watch Boise State whomp on Colorado State (final score of 63-13).
Roland, Robin, me, and Matt at the game
Sunday morning we went to church in Matt's old ward and then met up with several of Matt's friends that he grew up with.  It was fun listening to the guys laugh and laugh as they reminisced about the times they spent together.

Before we left, we had one more stop - the Benson Sculpture Garden.  I loved this place!  Each year there is a giant sculpture show and the park adds one (or more) additional sculptures permanently to the park.  Here are some of my favorites.  Matt and I had a little fun posing with some of the sculptures :-)
Ride 'em cowboy
Ring Around the Rosie
Where's Matt?
Make a wish!
The real title of this sculpture was "Best Friends" - I won't tell you what Matt thought it looked like :-)
I tried to get Matt to pose with this naked woman - he refused :-)

4 comments:

Beki and Bryce said...

looks like you had a blast! im excited to see you next weekend!

Mandi said...

I'm glad you had a blast. I'm sure it was fun to see where Matt grew up.

Robin said...

WE had so much fun with you! Thanks for the tickets! See you at the BSU AFA game here!

Becca said...

Looks like you had so much fun. I remember Robin and Roland. They are great. I am so glad you are doing well and look so happy!