Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Be an ENERGY STAR!

Wednesday, October 03, 2007
Okay, I know you've all been waiting for this one :-) A couple weeks ago I posted about an energy efficiency workshop series that my sister-in-law organized. Well, I attended the first workshop last week and learned some interesting tidbits. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring note paper to the workshop, so I don't have all the cool facts & figures, but here are a few of the tips I learned:
  • Did you know you're supposed to clean the coils on the back of your refrigerator? Wow - that one had never crossed my mind. They suggest you clean them annually...
  • Check the placement of your air conditioning unit - is it on the west side of your house getting direct hot afternoon sunlight? If so, consider trying to shade (without suffocating) your unit. This will make it more efficient.
  • Considering replacing your windows? I'd never thought about this one, but it makes sense... you may need different windows on the different sides of your house. For example, you may want one type of windows on the north and south sides of your house and a different type for the east and west sides that see direct sunlight. There are websites that can help you determine this, and I'm sure window companies may have suggestions as well.
  • Insulating your attic is important! You should also make sure that it is ventilated so that air can circulate up there. If there is no circulation and poor insulation, all that heat can seep into your house.
  • Idaho Power offers several incentive programs, including rebates for purchasing energy efficient air conditioners, monthly discounts during the summer if you sign up for the A/C Cool program, etc.

0 comments: