Sunday, June 08, 2008

Opa!

Sunday, June 08, 2008
Last night some friends and I attended the annual Greek Food Festival at the local Greek Orthodox Church. It was a blast! I had a delicious gyro and tried a couple of yummy desserts that I have no idea how to spell or pronounce. We also watched some Greek dancing and got a tour of the church. I learned a lot about the Greek Orthodox Church in the short tour - they like a lot of incense, their churches have lots of pictures or decorations, and only men are allowed in the room where the alter is at the front of the church. One of my favorite things I learned was about Easter - in the Greek Orthodox Church, they dye eggs, but only the color red (to symbolize Christ's blood).

Here's a picture of some of the kids who were in the dance group. They encouraged the crowd to yell "Opa" while the dancers performed, and throw them money :-)

0 comments: