Saturday, November 06, 2010

What Have You Been Up To?

Saturday, November 06, 2010
We all get asked this question a lot and probably ask it a lot ourselves.  A month or so ago, a friend asked what I've been up to lately, and I replied with my default answer of "Nothing much, how about you?"  He responded with something along the lines that I should get out more.

Why would I have responded "nothing much"?  I feel like I'm always busy and have something going on pretty much every night.  Is it because I was too lazy to come up with an answer?  Or maybe because I wonder if when people ask this question if they really care what I've been up to lately or if that's just they way they are greeting me?  Well, it bothered me that I answered that way, and that my friend was probably picturing me sitting at home every night watching tv (not that I don't do this sometimes!).  The next time I saw him, I walked right up to him and explained that I didn't really mean "nothing much", that I really am a busy person and I told him some of the things I had been doing lately (i.e. watching BSU football, glass blowing, book clubs, etc).  We had a conversation about why people answer "nothing much" and he thanked me for telling him what I've been up to because he really did care to hear about it.

So my goal is to at least have an answer when someone asks me this question.  I don't have to go on and on about everything I'm doing, but maybe pick one or two things I've been doing.  Another friend asked me yesterday what I've been up to - I started to respond with my default answer, but caught myself and told him a couple things I've been doing.  I proceeded to ask what he's been doing, and we had a good conversation.

1 comments:

Robin said...

One of the many things that I admire about you is how involved you are! You are always doing something or starting something. I'd like to live near you one day so you can invite me to do neato things with you.