Friday, December 24, 2010

The Help

Friday, December 24, 2010
When Jen and I decided to start a book club a few months ago, I really had no idea how much I would enjoy it.  I had tried to be in a book club before through church, but we could only read "safe" (typically churchy) books as not to offend anyone, and it really wasn't that exciting.

So far in our book club, we've read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, The Life of Pi, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, The Alchemist, and I just finished January's book, The Help.  I have really enjoyed all the books, and the discussions that we've had at different restaurants around town.  It has been so much fun to get together with friends once a month and have an intelligent conversation about the themes in the books, as well as just enjoy good company and good food.

Anyway, I just wanted to post quickly about the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  Within the first few pages, I knew I was going to love the book.  I know I've said before that my favorite genre is historical fiction, so this book about black maids working for privileged white families in Mississippi in the 1960's immediately caught my attention.  Hearing the perspectives of the different maids throughout the book made me both laugh and cry.  I couldn't put it down, reading at stoplights, in bed when I should have been asleep, even during commercials at the BSU-Utah football game :-)  The book truly touched me, and I am so happy Brooke picked this book for us to read, and am looking forward to the movie coming out next year.  I will be giving it 5 stars on Goodreads!

0 comments: