Saturday, February 23, 2008

Phew!

Saturday, February 23, 2008
I just got home from my second successful ward activity as Activities Director and I'm exhausted! Tonight was the annual ward adult dinner. Now this is no small feat. I have seriously been stressing over this dinner for weeks, even waking up at 4:30am Thursday morning and 3:30am yesterday morning going over all the details in my head. I'm talking a four course meal for about 150 people - meatballs for appetizer, salad for the second course, a main dish consisting of prime rib, potatoes, carrots, and rolls, and finally brownies and ice cream with raspberry sauce for dessert. Add to that coordinating setting up the tables, decorations, finding youth to seat the adults and serve dinner, a Newlywed game activity, cleaning up, and doing lots and lots of dishes. I definitely can't take credit for it all. I couldn't have done it without a committee who helped plan and set up, the Jones family who purchased and cooked the food, my parents who helped in the kitchen, my sister Beki and her friends who jumped in at the last minute when we didn't have enough youth to help serve, and countless others. It ended up being a lovely night, and I think everyone had a nice time. Thank goodness the next activity is much more low key - a talent/variety show at the end of April :-)

6 comments:

The Cowan Family said...

I can't imagine a better calling for you! I'm sure it was amazing...my mouth was watering just reading it!

The Pickled Red Herring said...

This is a delayed reaction, but yes Travis did volunteer at the SLC 2002 Olympics - what a small world! He doesn't get on here often, but when he does again I'll send him your way and you can reminisce. Oh and also he once sent his twin brother (Tim) to volunteer in his place (masquerading as Travis), so it might even have been him that you knew also! Ha ha!

Unknown said...

Kim!!! Hey! Talk about random. Yep its me! How ya doing? So I guess I'll just update yu on what I've done with myself since 2002. As you can see by our blog I'm married and have a child and another on the way. We moved out to Maryland a couple years ago for graduate school. I'm doing research in neuroscience. That is about it. Pretty boring story but we enjoy it out here...except there is no snow like Utah snow. Actually there is no snow at all here. I miss it. And no fly-fishing really...they don't even sell the equipment in stored. Anyway this is so cool...the internet makes the world smaller. Later!

Nancy said...

I was an activities committee chair once, and I don't know if I'd ever go back and be in charge again. Although, I'm always involved somehow, my ward found out I take pictures, and now I'm the ward photographer for all the activities.

Corinne said...

That is amazing Kim! I wish I could have come. You are such a great planner and organizer- I bet the whole evening was a hit!

Val said...

You and my mom have the same calling! I've had to help her with lots of those activites and I know how much work they are. Congratulations--it's over!