Monday, July 27, 2009

Market Meal

Monday, July 27, 2009
I made my first trip of the year to the Farmer's Market on Saturday. Tyler, Jen, and I rode bikes downtown and then met up with Jared once we got there. I know I've said this before, but I absolutely love the Market! I love supporting local farmers and artists, I love people-watching, I love sampling all the food. This time I came prepared with a backpack so I would have a way to carry all my food home... and I definitely needed it! Here's what I purchased:
  • Marionberries - these were huge and super sweet... we ate them right then for breakfast!
  • Tart apple chunks with cinnamon & sugar - this dried fruit is one of my market staples. I buy a package every time I visit the market!
  • Harry's Teriyaki Sauce - This teriyaki sauce is sweet and oh so good. So far I've only tried it over rice, but I think it will be a delicious salmon marinade.
  • Romaine Lettuce - I bought lettuce from one of the local farmers so I could make a salad
  • Spinach and Artichoke ravioli - This ravioli by Ferranti Pasta is fabulous. Last year I bought some of their salmon ravioli which was the best ravioli I had ever had!
  • Whole Grain Bread - I love Great Harvest bread, so I couldn't pass this up...
  • And I had to buy a glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade!
I decided I wanted to make a meal with only fresh ingredients from the market and my garden. This is a picture of my dinner last night... ...the lemon plates are a bit distracting, but you get the idea. I tossed the ravioli with some olive oil, fresh tomatoes from my garden, and some sauteed eggplant from Kate's garden (Kate joined me for dinner). We topped the salad with a pepper and some broccoli from Kate's garden and tomatoes and onions from my garden. And we made garlic bread with the bread from the market. So fresh and so delicious!

2 comments:

Sally said...

Yum! That is a great idea!

Mandi said...

What a fun idea! I think I will have to do that sometime too :)