Saturday, October 23, 2010

Adventures in Glass Blowing

Saturday, October 23, 2010
About six months ago, I purchased a 2-hour glass blowing workshop from Boise Art Glass through a citysmart deal.  I scheduled my workshop on the afternoon of October 8th, and I was really looking forward to it.  I received a call that morning letting me know that the furnace had been on longer than expected the night before because of First Thursday, and it wasn't going to be cooled down enough for me to do my workshop.  They offered to let me reschedule, or do a 2-hour torch class instead.  I had really been looking forward to the workshop, and I had vacation scheduled from work, so I opted for the torch class (since I didn't really know the difference anyway).
I had such a fun time over the next two hours, learning how to operate the torch, how to heat the glass, stretch it, shape it, add color, etc.  I started out by making a pendant, then moved om to beads.  I learned that beads are HARD to make!  I can tell it would take a lot of patience for me to really get into working with the torch.  None of my beads were even or the same size.  Oh well, I'm still carrying them in my purse to show off to people :-)  My amazing instructor Filip ended up making me a set of beads that matched one of my pendants so I could turn them into earrings.  I love them :-)

Filip offered to let me come back that next Saturday to make a pumpkin in the furnace for free since I didn't get to do the furnace class.  Of course I jumped at the chance.  He was so cute when I came back - he had special ordered me some colored glass because he knew I would want to make a blue and orange pumpkin!  I wish I had a picture or video of me working with the furnace to make my pumpkin.  This is where I actually got to "blow" the glass... so awesome!  I thought my pumpkin turned out pretty cute.  Can you tell I love Boise State? :-)

I don't know that I'll ever be hard core into glass blowing or torch work, but I hope to go back everyone once in a while for another workshop.  Through the process I discovered the beauty in the art of glass.  I wish I had enough money to buy one of the incredible chandeliers.  I was in love with them!  I did end up buying an absolutely beautiful piece that my instructor Filip had created.  I decided these flowers would work perfectly in my house! I need to find a good spot for this to properly showcase the beauty of the piece...

2 comments:

Robin said...

This is pretty cool. You do neat stuff. Don't give up - you may be the next Dale Chihuli!

What is BYP? That is a darling picture of you!

Kimberly said...

Thanks Robin :-)

BYP stands for Boise Young Professionals - it's an organization here in Boise that I've been a part of for a couple of years now.