Friday, June 20, 2008

Secret Club

Friday, June 20, 2008
It's amazing the things I never noticed until I started riding my motorcycle. Take potholes, for example - I never realized how many potholes there are in our streets! I smoothly drive right over them in my Blazer and don't think twice (where I completely avoid them on my bike). Or have you ever noticed those little yellow squares painted on the road at stop lights? At each stop light, I park my front and back tires on those squares so I can trigger the light.

Well, one thing that makes me feel cool when riding my motorcycle is that all the bikers "wave" at each other along the road. I remember sitting in the Idaho STAR class a couple years ago and someone asking the instructor if learning the proper "wave" was part of the class. I had no idea what she was talking about. But I quickly learned, as biker after biker began to wave at me as I rode by them. Now I don't mean a cheesy "back-and-forth" wave, or a "hi mom" kind of wave. A motorcycle wave typically consists of the rider casually extending the left arm out to acknowledge the other bike. Every time someone waves at me, I feel like I am in this cool, secret club. I know, it sounds silly, but it seriously makes me smile. But I guess riding my bike in general makes me smile! So now I wonder, how the heck did I never notice the bikers wave at each other?

3 comments:

Nancy said...

When my brother got his motorcycle and I went for a ride with him, I was so surprised that everyone waved at each other. Now that Will and I have our scooter we get waves from people too. Not always (I think some riders think we don't count since we ride a scooter), but enough that I get that same secret smile.

Melissa said...

I love reading your stories about your motorcycle. I never would have imagined you a biker before. I love it! Wayne wants a bike, they scare me though. Maybe someday.

Sally said...

I never notice ANY of that stuff. How cool :). I think your "biker self" is awesome! BTW, did you know about the Meridian Barn Sour going on next Saturday at Settler's Park? There is a 6k and I think I'm going to do it as a warm-up for the Women's Fitness Celebration. I did the Race for the Cure and finally post a (half) decent time. Let me know if you're interested and we could meet up. I have one other friend who is thinking about doing it.