Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Training for a 5k

Wednesday, June 04, 2008
So I've read on a few of my friends blogs lately how they are running and training for marathons or half marathons... Well, I'm training for a 5k :-) You see, I've never been much of a runner. I get tired and out of breath quickly when I am running, and that's not what I call fun. I've never actually run an entire race without walking some (well, maybe like a mile race, but that's it). I've done longer races - 5ks, 10ks, and even a half marathon, but each race has involved at least some walking. A group of friends and I decided that we want to run an entire 5k. To many, I'm sure that would be a piece of cake. For me, I'm hoping to be there in September for the Women's Fitness Celebration.

So a couple weeks ago, my friends and I met with Werner Hoeger, who talked to us about training for races. He even put together a custom training schedule for us so we would be ready to run the Women's Fitness Celebration! We are training 4 days a week, and started out super easy. For example, last Wednesday, we walked 10 minutes, then jogged a lap, walked a lap, jogged a lap, and ended with a 5 minute walk. Today we ramped up a bit and jogged two laps in a row in the middle. By mid-August, we'll be up to jogging 12 laps in a row (5k distance). So, that's my plan. I'd also like to do Barber to Boise in October (10k), and maybe even to Zeitgeist again in November (half marathon). Guess we'll see how ambitious I feel this fall :-)

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Good luck. You won't see me running anywhere soon. I've always hated running. I'd much rather swim or cycle. Maybe I should do a Tri and just walk for the last part.

Steph said...

You rock!!!!! Way to go! You will be amazed at how quick your body adapts...I was running only for 5-10 minutes at the beginning of the year! Keep us posted on your journey and I am totally emailing Werner for some tips of my own...thanks for the tip!!!

Anonymous said...

It's all about showing up - if you manage to consistently hit the track four times a week for several months, you will improve; slowly at first, and in great leaps a few months in. You won't believe your own body.


Here's another approach:

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/features/feature-articles/2008/june/Boot-Camps-for-Women.html

Robin said...

I am impressed. When I was in college I did all the graphics for a book Werner Hoeger wrote. I got no credit but I learned a lot. He is smart.