Friday, November 28, 2008

Continuing with Tradition

Friday, November 28, 2008
Last year I decided to start a new tradition - attending the Idaho Food Bank's Empty Bowls event the day after Thanksgiving. Empty Bowls is a really cool fundraiser to help Idaho's hungry. For $10, you can purchase a hand-crafted bowl, and you receive free gourmet soup from a local chef. Beki and I attended the event this afternoon, perused table after table of unique bowls, picked out our favorites, and enjoyed some fabulous soup. My friend Sally wasn't able to attend, so she gave us vouchers for free soup that she received from making bowls for the event (I totally want to make a bowl next year!). Because of the vouchers, Beki and I each got to enjoy two cups of soup :-) We had potato bacon and tomato lentil... they were both delicious.

So I've been thinking lately that I need to get more involved in my community. I think I might go talk to the Idaho Food Bank to see what kind of volunteer opportunities they have on an ongoing basis. Any other suggestions on great places in Boise to volunteer?

3 comments:

Sally said...

I'm so glad you got to go again this year and had a good time with your sister. Maybe we can meet up next year! I'm just so happy the coupon didn't go to waste. It was great to see you again. Your hair color is adorable!

Phil, Courtney, and Aiden said...

Looks like fun! I'm sorry i couldn't be there! I used to volunteer to feed the homeless down at the Cathedral of the Rockies Church, in downtown Boise. I'm not sure if they still do it, but it was such a humbling experience. I think they would probably have something especially around Christmas time.

Katrina said...

How about volunteering for the Frontier PTO! ;) I'm really sorry I couldn't go. And it looks like next year we'll probably be in Vernal for Thanksgiving.