Wednesday, November 05, 2008

History in the Making

Wednesday, November 05, 2008
On January 20, 2009, Barack Obama will be sworn in as the first black President in the history of the United States of America. Regardless of my own political beliefs, I am proud of how far our country has come, that we can look past race in electing the leader of our nation.

I do, however, have something I just need to vent about. I believe that we should vote for whomever best represents our viewpoints and beliefs on key issues. I have been frustrated over the last couple weeks as I have heard person after person indicate that they were voting for Obama because he is black and that is so inspiring, or they were voting for him because he is young and charismatic. While I agree that it is inspiring to elect a young, black, charismatic president, I was disappointed when people based their decisions solely on these elements instead of the main issues.

All in all, this Presidential election was definitely an exciting one to follow. I think that we need to pull together as a country and stand united, especially during these tough economic times. I will do my best to support and stand by our newly elected President.

4 comments:

Sally said...

Couldn't have said it better!

MaiTy said...

For some reason my blog hasn't updated the fact that you've been posting, so I've had fun reading everything I missed. I have to say that I very very much agree with you on this issue. I, too, have been extremely disappointed at the number of people only voted for Obama based on race. It makes me sad that if he doesn't live up to all the hype, the country may get a bad taste in their mouth for a black president. I truly wish that the candidate had been superbly qualified, instead of just marginally. I hope we aren't disappointed.

Corinne said...

I totally agree. I don't know what the election was like in Idaho but it was pretty nuts here! After Obama won, people were out singing and crying in the streets of D.C. I guess I don't get that excited about political races.

The Thackers said...

I second those statemnts....all of them!!