Friday, November 28, 2008

The Lights are Hung, the Trees are Trimmed

Friday, November 28, 2008
It's the day after Thanksgiving... what does that mean? Time to decorate for Christmas, of course! Holiday decorating is a lot of work - packing up the previous holiday or season's decor, getting down new decor from the attic, actually decorating, cleaning up after decorating, etc. Because of that, I like to get up my Christmas decorations immediately after Thanksgiving so I can enjoy them as long as possible.

I have two Christmas trees - one "pretty" one that goes in my front room... It has white lights and I only decorate it with red and gold ornaments. The other Christmas tree has colored lights and is decorated with all the fun ornaments I have gathered over the years. It is tradition that I get (at least) one new ornament each year, typically representing something special I did that year. For example, I have a NYC taxi ornament from the year I spent New Years Eve in Times Square & I have a BSU football ornament from the year I started both my Masters degree and my job at Boise State. I got this year's ornament in Alaska - Santa driving a dogsled team!Besides my trees, I set up my nativity set, decorated my dining room table, hung Christmas lights on the outside of my house, and decorated my front porch.
Now I'm busy wrapping presents. No, I didn't do any Christmas shopping today - I have had almost all my gifts for a while now :-)

2 comments:

Nathan said...

All that today and you still had time to blog? And the day isn't over yet! Amazing.

Since we bought our first house this year and had our first kid I thought we'd go crazy with the decorations. I'll blog about it as well, but we have an enormous amount of ornaments that we've inherited or collected over our lives. Tonight we went shopping for Christmas decor. Got some garlands, lights, bows, ribbons, wrapping paper, poinsettas, spruce firs and electric candles.

We hung the stockings by the chimney and broke out the nativity sets and now we get the fun task of making it all look pretty!

Robin said...

Your trees are beautiful. I am impressed that you have your shopping done. Sounds like you will have a great Christmas!