Monday, May 11, 2009

Flowers!

Monday, May 11, 2009
A few weeks ago, Julie told me how the day after Mother's Day, the temple lets people come and dig up the tulips and daffodils and take the bulbs for free. It works out all around - people get free flowers bulbs and the temple doesn't have to pay anyone to come take out the old flowers. I thought getting free flower bulbs sounded great, so I took the morning off work to dig in the flower beds. I arrived at the temple just before 9:00am, come to find that basically all the flowers had already been pulled. People got there before 6:00am! Well, I worked for about half an hour and was only able to get about 15-20 tulip bulbs, but hey - that's something right! I was back home by 10:00am, and decided to go to Lowes to pick up some perennials to add to my front flower bed. The bed now looks MUCH better than it did, and I am excited to see the flowers grow and fill in the bed.

Well, tonight I went back to the temple! Our Family Home Evening activity was actually to plant new flowers. The temple always has such beautiful landscaping, so it was fun to be able to participate in the planting. And guess what we found in the flower beds as we planted the new flowers... flower bulbs that people had missed from this morning! I gathered them all up to take home - I'll store them this summer and plant all the bulbs this fall. I have no idea what kind of flowers the bulbs are from, or what colors they are, but I am excited to find out next spring when they start blooming!

5 comments:

Robin said...

When they bloom you can feel all righteous because you have temple flowers.

MaiTy said...

I remember planting flowers on Temple square my freshman year, I LOVED it! We actually just planted flowers in Center street in Provo last week. What a fun way to do service!

Sally said...

I had no idea- how cool!

Val said...

That's awesome! I remember doing that in the fall at Temple Square and it was so sad to see all the flowers going in to huge dumpsters.

Julie in Boise said...

Sorry that it was such a fiasco in the morning. It sounds like there were a ton of people there.
But, you were rewarded by doing service and planting that night.
I found that it was just really neat "working" at the Temple in their nice dirt.
Hint - You can plant the bulbs right now. They do just as well and if you have other bulbs planted, you can see where they are now and not in the Fall.