Monday, May 25, 2009

The Rides That Weren't Meant To Be

Monday, May 25, 2009
Katrina and I decided to take full advantage of this Memorial Day weekend and go mountain biking not once, but twice! We decided last week that it would be cool to do the Hidden Springs Duathlon this fall... In order to prepare for the race, we wanted to practice on last year's mountain bike course. We went with map in hand, but couldn't actually find the beginning of the trail. Bummer. Instead we decided to just ride up and down Seamans Gulch road. I was excited to know that I can ride that road, but Katrina and I were the only ones on the road with mountain bikes (instead of road bikes) and without clips!

This morning we headed back out. We went to Hidden Springs again, but decided to do a trail we had done before. I pumped up my bike tires right before we left and didn't get 20 yards before I could tell it was COMPLETELY flat again. Katrina to the rescue - she had this really cool stuff that sprayed sealant or something into my tire and also completely filled it up with air.

After fixing my tire, we were back on the trail... only when we got to the top of the first hill, we saw this:
What??? The last time I rode this trail, it was all foothills and trails. Who put that road there? So we had to detour to another trail, which was shorter than we were hoping for. We didn't get too far along that trail when my chain started having problems. Every time I shifted gears, the chain fell off. Ugh, how annoying. After putting my chain back on three times, I decided my ride was over for the day. I finished my ride in 1st gear (I felt like I wasn't going anywhere!) because that's the only gear my bike would stay in.

I decided that I wasn't meant to mountain bike this weekend! I guess I'll be taking my bike in to the shop this week to get it in tip top shape for my next ride. Since I finished my ride earlier than Katrina (I told her to go ahead and finish the trail - no sense in us both having a short ride), I just goofed around and took pictures. I decided I love my cool gorilla tripod:This tripod is bendable and will literally form around anything to hold your camera. I took this picture...
... by bending the tripod around this stick. How cool is that!?!You can't tell from the picture, but it really was a pretty wimpy stick. Here's to a better ride next time!

0 comments: