Friday, May 01, 2009

Curb It

Friday, May 01, 2009
I don't know if anyone else is excited about the new trash/recycling program that is starting this summer in Boise (Curb It), but I am! Over the next several months, Boise residents will receive two new city-issued carts - one for trash and one for recycling. The thing that I am excited about is that I will no longer need to sort my recyclables! All recyclables can go into the one cart. Not that it is that difficult for me to sort everything, but recycling will now be just that much easier. I am sure that others who aren't avid recyclers will begin doing so since it will be so easy... plus, people who don't recycle will actually get charged!

So as part of the Curb It program, the city is selling home composting bins. I am kind of going back and forth on if I should purchase one or not. I have seriously considered buying one in the past, but they just seem like a lot of work, and I worry about the smell. Do you use a composting bin or know of anyone who does? What is your experience?

2 comments:

Julie in Boise said...

Here is my limited opinion on them.
We started using one last year. They DO smell. (ours is down at our garden, thank goodness).
I felt better about putting better use to the food scraps, but it still sits there, unused. (I could do better here)
I think they need to have a stirrer built into them. Ours doesn't have one and it is hard to mix with a pitchfork.
So....would I recommend one? Probably not. I only keep ours because it isn't in my yard, close to my sensitive nose.

Val said...

That's what we have here in Utah and it rocks! Our recycling only gets picked up every other week, though. We usually have way more recycling stuff than trash!