Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Kinda Wish I Didn't Know...

Thursday, January 14, 2010
So I started with a personal trainer this month.  We're only meeting together three times a month, but I think it will be nice to have some personalized training.  Well, my trainer Brandee is making me keep a food journal.  Let me tell you, keeping a food journal sure makes you aware of every little thing that goes into your mouth!  She asked me to try and track calories too, just for a couple weeks to see where I was at.  Of course Costa Vida is a given as part of my weekly diet, so I tried to calculate how many calories my salad is.  Wouldn't you think a salad would be healthy???  I found a nutritional information calculator on the Costa website.  Here are my two biggest shockers:
  • One flour tortilla is 507 calories!!!  I always get a small salad, but still, I'm sure a small tortilla has 300 calories!  No wonder they are so delicious.
  •  The key lime pie dessert is 846 calories.  Yes 846!  Have you seen how small these are?  What the heck are they made of?  I used to frequently splurge and split a key lime dessert with a friend.  No longer!  Seriously?  Half of a key lime pie dessert is 423 calories?
So according to my best guess, the small sweet pork salad I order is about 900 calories.  That means a large salad has to be pretty close to how many calories someone should consume in an entire day.  Needless to say, tonight I ordered my salad without a tortilla.  If you want to check out more nutritional info, check out this calculator!  I kinda wish I could still blissfully eat my salad in calorie ignorance.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Good for you Kim! Between a food journal and a trainer you're going to be the healthiest person I know! If you want a good online food journal, I love fitday.com. It's free and it rocks.

Sally said...

Ahhhhh--you ruined it for me! I was blissfully ignorant :). Good thing they don't have a Costa Vida up here. (Although, I found a recipe for Cafe Rio pork and made that for the first time tonight). I think your caloric counting is about right now judging from what I put in the crockpot. Boy, was it yummy, though!

good for you for keeping a diary. keep it up!