Friday, April 30, 2010

Nutritional Information - Check First!

Friday, April 30, 2010
A few weeks ago, I went with Kris on lunch to run some errands.  I hadn't brought a lunch, so we stopped at Arby's... After looking over the menu, I picked what I thought was the healthiest option - a turkey and swiss Market Fresh sandwich on wheat with lettuce and tomato.  I forgot to ask for no mayo, so that was on there too.  When I got back to my desk, I decided to check out the nutritional information on the sandwich I had just eaten.  Imagine my shock when I realized I had just consumed SEVEN HUNDRED TEN calories!  What?  With just a market fresh sandwich?  The "wheat" bread alone was almost 400 calories.  Seriously, Arby's, you can't get a healthier bread?  I was totally upset... I could have had a regular roast beef sandwich on a white bun for less than half the number of calories.

Fast forward to this week.  I LOVE Pita Pit's nutritional information.  You can build your own pita, adding one topping at a time to see how it changes the calorie count.  This is such a great tool.  I used this before I went to lunch this week to figure out my exact order.  I decided to forgo the feta cheese (didn't need the extra 120 calories), but made a delicious BBQ chicken whole wheat pita with lots of veggies.

Anyway, lesson learned - always check the nutritional information on websites BEFORE going out to eat if possible.  It helps me make better choices :-)

0 comments: