Monday, January 17, 2011

I need your PENNIES!

Monday, January 17, 2011
A couple weeks ago, Mandy and I got into a mini penny war.  She wanted to borrow a dime and said she would give me 10 pennies.  I told her all I had was a quarter, but that she could just have it because I didn't want her pennies.  She came into my office and handed me a dime and nickel, and then proceeded to drop 10 pennies on my desk and run out of my office.  Well, I went down to her desk when she wasn't there and placed the 10 pennies all around - on top of here monitor, balancing on her purse, etc.  After lunch, a mysterious mini altoid tin was on my computer... I looked at it for a minute, trying to remember if I had left it there, and then realized what it was - I opened it and sure enough, 10 pennies.  To finish the day off, I went out to her car in the parking lot and placed the pennies in a row on the rubber of the drivers side window.

Okay, I know that was a long intro, but because of this, a couple co-workers and I came up with the idea of an office penny war.  We broke the office into four teams and for the entire Spring semester, we will be collecting pennies.  Each team came up with and decorated a "penny jar" to store all of our pennies.  The catch is that you can put nickels, dimes, and quarters in the other teams' jars to negate that number of pennies (i.e. a dime negates 10 of their pennies).  At the end of the semester, the winning team (team with the most pennies after the silver coin deductions) gets a pizza party, and all the rest of the money goes to the employee GoodWill program on campus (a program where lunches are subsidized for those employees under a certain salary threshold who can't necessarily afford to have lunch).

SOOOO, I need your pennies!  If you have a penny jar and you are wondering what the heck to do with them because it is way too much work to count them, and because pennies aren't really worth much anyway, I will take them off your hands!  If you live here in the Boise area, I am even willing to come pick them up from your house - just let me know :-)  I would appreciate all and any pennies... the contest runs through the first week of May!

0 comments: