Saturday, January 29, 2011

Freezer Burn

Saturday, January 29, 2011
Warning: Boring blog post ahead

Yes, it's boring, but it was a lot of work so I decided to blog about it!  I've had a full-size freezer in my garage now for almost 7 years... and I recently decided defrosting my freezer (for the first time) was way overdue.  The ice had built up pretty thick on a couple of the shelves.  Plus, as I was going through the freezer, I realized some of the meat had been in there for almost as long as I've had the freezer... freezer burned top sirloin steak anyone?  Good thing it's cold outside because my garbage can is full of food that I deemed inedible and garbage day isn't until Monday.

Anyway, it was quite the chore emptying my freezer of the frozen food.  The worst part was how cold my hands got.  I even wore gloves, but the cold pierced right through them.  Once the freezer was mostly empty (I say mostly because of the two items encased in ice that I couldn't wrench free), I heaved the freezer out of my garage, sliding it as well as possible across the garage floor.  I then dragged the hose over to the freezer and began spraying the shelves to melt the ice.  It didn't take long for me to turn into a popsicle, the cold water from the hose and the freezer splashing up on me.  The water/ice from the freezer covered my driveway, making it look (and feel) like a skating rink.  I was so happy when all the ice was gone, I could dry off the freezer, haul it back into the garage, and refill it with the food that I kept.  By this point, I thought my fingers might fall off.  They hurt so bad because of the cold.  I swear it took hours for them to warm up!

Glad I won't have to do that again for a while, at least I hope!  Wonder how long it will take until the ice starts forming on the shelves again?  My freezer sure does look pretty for the time being, though!

1 comments:

Robin said...

Not boring.
Inspiring.