Monday, January 24, 2011

Making Friends

Monday, January 24, 2011
My cousin recently posted about how it is hard to make friends.  I've been feeling that way a bit in my new ward.  It's difficult because I have such a good group of friends outside my ward that I can hang out with in the evenings and on weekends (see my recent post about Garden Valley!) so I wonder if it's worth the effort to really reach out and make myself vulnerable and be friendly and try and make new friends.  The fact is, I know it would be worth it, because we all need friends wherever we are.  I know that I would enjoy going to church more if I had a friend to sit with or talk to.  I just need to have a good attitude about it and put forth the necessary effort in order to make that happen.  I decided to end this post with a quote I really like that my cousin posted on her blog about friends.  It's by Marjorie P. Hinckley:

"We are all in this together. We need each other. Oh, how we need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young. And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old. It is a sociological fact that women need women. We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other. These friendships are a necessary source of sustenance..."

3 comments:

Steph said...

Thanks for posting this. Means a lot to me today!!! :)

Corinne said...

What a great quote. I've decided that I officially want to move home to Idaho. I'm in a rut and I need a friend to pull me out. :)

Melissa said...

Love that quote! And love you too! If we ever move back to Boise and live in your ward I'll sit by you!