Monday, April 25, 2011

Batik and Art

Monday, April 25, 2011
Thursday morning Dr. Maughan had to get some work done, so Marsha made me a skirt out of some of the fabric that I had bought on Monday from Esther.  I was so excited to have a beautiful batik skirt!  After lunch, we visited a batik factory so I could see the process for making batik.

First, designs are cut into foam blocks.  These blocks are then dipped in wax and stamped onto the fabric.

Once the pattern is made on the fabric, it is soaked in dye and then set out to dry.  The dye will not color anywhere that there is wax.  This process can be repeated for multiple colors.  The wax is then boiled off the fabric.
It was neat to see the process in action - so interesting!

After we left the batik factory, we headed to an art gallery.  There was some beautiful artwork and antique Ghanaian wood carvings and furniture.  There are a couple pieces I would love to have in my home if only I had a way to transport them back home (as well as the extra cash - some of them were spendy)!

That evening we had pizza dinner at Mamma Mias.  I loved the thin crust of the pizza and the very cool outdoor atmosphere of the restaurant.  I can see why the Maughans love that restaurant!  I really enjoyed my Alvaro pineapple soft drink... I would love for this brand to come to the states (I had tried the passion fruit flavor at lunch in Aburi and it was equally delicious)!  We ended the evening with my very first Italian gelato (YUMMY!) and a game of nerts.

0 comments: