Saturday, April 05, 2008

Beat Pete 5k

Saturday, April 05, 2008
This morning I ran the Beat Coach Pete 5k. Coach Chris Peterson (BSU's awesome football coach) agreed to donate $5 to student scholarships to anyone who beat him in a 5k race. He finished in around 25 minutes. Needless to say, I didn't get the shirt that said "I Beat Pete"... I got the one that said "I'll Beat Pete Next Year"! Oh well... what was I expecting? Not only do I hate running, but I think I've only been to the gym once in the last 2 1/2 months :-( I definitely need to get back into an exercise routine! Anyway, the great thing is that there were 322 runners that beat Pete, so that's over $1600 Coach Pete will donate to scholarships (in addition to donations made by race participants). Oh, and I have to give a big shout out to Campus Rec for doing such a great job of organizing this event! This is a brand new event - they were hoping best case scenario to get 500 runners. Last I heard, over 750 people had registered!

6 comments:

Mandi said...

Awesome shirt :) What a great idea! I am "running" a 5k in two weeks! We'll see how it goes. It keeps snowing here so I haven't been able to run at all yet! My initial goal was to run the entire thing, but now I think I will settle for just finishing the race! Also, I found the Coffey's and Partridge's blogs :) You can link them from my blog!

Sally said...

Good for you for running it! I just saw it on TV a few days ago or I would have planned to do it with you. I'm sure I would have gotten the "I'll Beat Coach Pete Next Year" t-shirt as well. Never been much of a runner :). Way to be involved!

Corinne said...

What a clever way to raise money! I am sad you can't come visit this year Kim! We won't be coming to Boise this summer so it might be a while before we can play:(.

Nancy said...

Good for you & good luck next year beating Pete.

Emily said...

Way to go, Kim. Sounds like everyone came out on top, even those who didn't beat Pete. That reminds me of a game we played on my mission called "Don't Eat Pete."

Val said...

That was fun to watch it on the news! Good job for participating!