Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Running Update

Wednesday, June 01, 2011
I am happy to announce that I am 5/12 of the way toward my goal of running a 5k (3.1 miles) each week this year.  I was hoping to not miss a single week, but I was sick a couple weeks in March and didn't run the week I was in Ghana... I will count those weeks as exceptions.  I am not allowing myself to say I am "too busy" on any given week to run - on those weeks I have just forced myself to get up early and run before work.  Those who know me well know I am NOT a morning person, so to get up early AND run (something else I'm not totally fond of) is a BIG sacrifice for me :-)  Anyway, for the weeks I missed, I have more than made up for on the weeks I have run two or three times.

I've been tracking my running on mapmyrun.com - and for January through May I ran over 130 miles!  That's over 6 miles a week on average.  Not bad, right?  I know that the runners out there probably laugh at these 6 miles (my trainer Brandee has been running 40 miles a week!), but I am proud of what I have accomplished up to this point... that not only have I been able to keep a "New Years Resolution", but I don't know that I would still say I "hate" running (although I am definitely not to the "like" running stage).  Who knows, maybe one day I'll even consider myself a "runner".  Maybe.  Seven more months to go...

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Two things that I think make running enjoyable, but are sometimes less than practical...

1) Running on the beach
2) Running on dirt paths in the mountains, or a park, where there's lots of pine trees.

The worst is running when the weather's wet and cold.

Kudos for sticking to your running goals. Definitely not something easy to do.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the encouragement :-) I just got a brochure yesterday outlining some of the foothills trails, so I might get brave and try trail running this summer sometime.