Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Nicety or Necessity?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008
I have decided I absolutely cannot live without my cell phone. What used to be a nicety for me has turned into a necessity. Let me explain.

I had a cell phone when I was in college. It's funny to think about it now, but by having a cell phone, I was in the minority. It was just nice to call my parents with so I didn't have to use a phone card for long distance. I think I rarely used it for anything else. I hardly ever gave out my cell phone number because I didn't want to waste my minutes. Fast forward to today. My cell phone is now my only phone. I got rid of my home phone when I realized I was paying $40 a month for 8 people to call me! It's like people stopped trying my home phone first, because they knew I would always have my cell phone. Everybody seems to have cell phones these days, even 7 year olds! I think you are in the minority if you don't have a cell phone. Oh, and text messaging has practically replaced email and half of my phone calls... I'm still getting used to that. A couple weeks ago I left my cell phone at work and practically had a panic attack. How was I supposed to communicate with anyone??? Good thing I still had my internet so I could text message my friend's phone via email :-)

I would seriously rather have a house without a dishwasher than not have a cell phone.

So what about you? What things were once niceties to you, but are now necessities?

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I don't have a dishwasher in my house, and after 2 1/2 years, I would actually contemplate going without my cell phone to have a dishwasher. :)

siredge said...

Does the Internet count?

Kimberly said...

The internet definitely counts! In fact, I was originally going to include the internet as a second necessity in this post :-)

Liz said...

Oh my - you would not believe this- we don't have a cell phone! Everyone asks us how we live at all, but really it's not so bad. :) We both had one in college, but we haven't had one since we moved here. But the internet- total necessity.

Mandi said...

Google and Blogger ;)

Kimberly said...

I agree - Google is just fabulous! And Blogger is part of Google!