Saturday, July 19, 2008

Twilight Criterium

Saturday, July 19, 2008
I haven't been able to get enough of downtown Boise, so we headed down tonight for the Twilight Criterium. A criterium is a short course bicycle race and the cyclists ride a specified number of laps along the course. The Boise Twilight Criterium has been going on for over 20 years, and this was my first time of watching it. Tons of people line the course, and each time the cyclists pass, everyone cheers them on with their clickers (these cool free noise makers they pass out). At the end they announced that the winners rode over 30 miles per hour for an hour and a half! Crazy! I think I would be dead :-)
After watching the race for a while, Jen, Jessica, and I took a break and enjoyed dessert fondue at the Melting Pot. Anyone that knows me well knows that I LOVE fondue. We got the Cookies 'n Cream chocolate fondue - oh, it was so yummy! If you've never had fondue, you absolutely have to try it sometime.
The highlight of my night, though, was after dessert. We went back to watch the very end of the criterium and see the awards ceremony. Kristin Armstrong took first place in the women's race, and I got my picture taken with her! Kristin (a fellow Boisean) went to the Olympics in 2004 and is headed back again next month. I am excited to watch her race in Beijing, and will be cheering her along as she goes! Jen took this picture for me - she made sure to get my shirt in the picture :-)

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I love all your new updates! You are so busy! You have an exciting life!

Robin said...

Love the t-shirt!

Katrina said...

How did you manage this?!

Katrina said...

Are you losing weight? Maybe I should be training with you because I have been enjoying my lazy mode a little too much.

Emily said...

Kim, I can see that even though I grew up in Boise, I've barely experienced the downtown life and fun.

Kimberly said...

Katrina - you are welcome to train with us... just call me :-)

Kimberly said...

Oh, and I'm assuming you mean how did I manage getting a picture with Kristin Armstrong? Just being in the right place at the right time... that and getting up the guts to ask her for a picture!