Thursday, August 28, 2008

Peroneal Tendonitis

Thursday, August 28, 2008
So remember this post? Where I was so excited that I ran three miles? Yeah, well, I haven't run since. That evening, the bottom outside of my left foot really started hurting. It doesn't hurt when I sit or stand, but each step I take is painful. Needless to say, since it hurt so bad to walk, I didn't want to try running at all. I tried to keep off my foot as much as possible and took ibuprofen to help with the pain, but nothing seemed to help. Well, I started getting nervous that all my hard work training would go down the drain if I didn't start running again soon, so I called the podiatrist. Turns out I have peroneal tendonitis. There isn't much cushion on the bottom of your foot just below this tendon, and I think that running with really old shoes at the gym was the cause. Ugh! I knew that I needed new shoes, but good shoes are just so expensive! Oh well. Anyway, I get to wear this funky little gauze patch on my foot that is a kind of topical anti-inflammatory. I also got inserts for my shoes that should help cushion the tendon a little better. The good news is that the doctor told me I could start running again... hope the pain goes away soon so that it doesn't hurt so bad to run!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I hope you can start running again soon... I like the track soo much better than the stupid treadmill!!

Liz said...

HEY! That's what I've been dealing with!! I'm so sorry, Kim. It totally puts a damper on things! Way to go on your three miles, though! You are well on your way to your 5k. I have been icing my foot every night, and I am running like normal again now (although it still is a little painful very first thing in the morning...) You'll be up and running in no time. :) Did you see on my blog that I ran in Boise a few weeks ago? (That is where my tendonitis started, actually.) I dropped in to see the in-laws for just a few crazy days and did a run. Your green belt is beautiful! I totally loved it!
Anyway, way to go on the running! I hope it's as addicting for you as it has been for me! I seriously hope I'm in Boise for long enough one of these times that I can actually get away for a few minutes to come visit- maybe we can even go on a run! :)