Friday, August 15, 2008

Pondless Waterfall

Friday, August 15, 2008
I have always loved water features in people's yards. Not only are they beautiful, but I could sit outside for hours listening to the sound of the water hitting the rocks. Last year I pulled out some ugly shrubs in the corner of my back yard. Well, I finally got tired of staring at the pile of weed-infested dirt, so a couple months ago I broke down and started shopping for the perfect water feature. I think ponds are so pretty, but have heard that they can be a lot of work. I came across the concept of a pondless waterfall and I knew that's what I wanted. Instead of pooling at the bottom of the falls, the water simply drops into a pile of small rocks, letting me enjoy the sound and beauty of the water feature without the maintenance of the pond. My cousin's husband created the waterfall for me and gave me a good deal. I think it turned out awesome!

7 comments:

Mandi said...

Beautiful! I love it!

Mandy Nelson said...

I can't wait to see it in person! It looks awesome!!

Robin said...

Wow! It looks great! It must be relaxing to sit by your waterfall and read Breaking Dawn.

Nancy said...

That's really cool! My parents really want to do a water feature... I'll have to tell them about this.

Julie in Boise said...

That looks really nice! Which corner is it in?
Today, I noticed a hardwood installer van at your house and furniture in your garage. Must be another home improvement project going on at your place. Exciting!

Tessa at Blunders with shoots, blossoms 'n roots said...

I was searching for a way to put some moving water in my yard for the birds- and then I found your blog. I'm wondering if there is a pump that moves the water back up to the top, so it's not just running over rocks and wasting water. What size pump is used if this is so. Happy gardening to you!

Kimberly said...

Hi Tessa - There is a pump that recycles the water. I don't know what size it is, but I know it is an energy efficient pump. I thought I would need to add water in the summertime, but I haven't had to yet, so I'm really not wasting any water. The pump does use electricity, but I typically only run the waterfall when I'm outside to enjoy it (I had an electrician connect the plug-in to a switch, making it easy to turn the waterfall on and off). Hope that helps!