Thursday, August 05, 2010

Being Involved

Thursday, August 05, 2010
I think it's important to be involved in your community in one way or another... whether it be volunteering at a food bank or at your child's school, helping plan community events, etc.  I think my parents instilled this in me when I was growing up as they encouraged me to participate in the Congressional Award program.  Between age 13 1/2 and 18, I completed the requirements for and received the bronze, silver, and gold congressional awards, which, among other things, consisted of over 700 cumulative hours of community service.

Even though I don't have an organization for which I consistently volunteer anymore, I continue to stay involved and connected, especially through Boise Young Professionals and Boise Rec Fest.  I'm excited about something new on my horizon... I am going to be teaching a 1-credit discussion lab this fall at Boise State for a University 101 class.  I know it probably doesn't seem like much, but for a few years I've thought I might enjoy teaching at the college level, so here's my chance to find out what it's like!

But the main reason for this post is so I can say how proud I am of my sister Mandi.  She is finishing up certification to be a soccer coach here in Boise.  She will assist with coaching a U-11 or U-13 soccer team this fall.  You might think to yourself that a lot of parents help out with coaching.  The difference with Mandi is that she doesn't have a child on the team that she'll be coaching.  Her kids are too young to play any sport!  I think it's so cool that Mandi is not only following a passion of hers (soccer), but has found a way to give back to our community by giving of her time to help coach.  Congrats Mandi - I think what you are doing is awesome!

1 comments:

Melissa said...

You girls are awesome! Thank you for your great example! I wish we still lived in Boise so we could get together more often. I think you'll be a great teacher and Mandi will be awesome at coaching soccer. It's so true that we need to give back!