Saturday, August 14, 2010

Great Reads

Saturday, August 14, 2010
The list of books I want to read keeps growing and growing.  In fact, I've got four books that I recently purchased and one book that I was given as a gift just sitting on my family room table waiting for me to start (The Help, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and East of Eden).  That doesn't count all the books on my bookshelf that I haven't started and my giant list of "to-read" books on Goodreads.  Just gotta finish my current read (The Girls From Ames) so I can get started on some of these other books!

I just wanted to post quickly, though, on three fabulous books I read this last month.  I started with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  Definitely in my top five books ever!  I love historical fiction, so this incredible journey of a family living in Nazi Germany truly touched me.  And what I found especially beautiful was that the book was narrated by "Death".  I know, "beautiful" might seem like a weird word for Death, but the insight and imagery really was just that.  If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend it!!  You won't be disappointed!

The other two books are in a series - The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.  These are the first two books in a trilogy, with the third book - Mockingjay - set to come out on August 24th.  I just pre-ordered the trilogy box set on Amazon :-)  These books probably fall into the teen fantasy realm, but were such fun, fast reads and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.  Great for kids and adults alike!

3 comments:

Robin said...

Are we friends on Goodreads? I don't get an updates from you.

Kimberly said...

Yep, we're friends. I usually update when I've read a book, but I'm not the greatest at my reviews. I get your updates though, and I've read several books based on your updates!

Bethany said...

Thanks for the recommendations Kim!