Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Book Review: The Secret Life of Bees

Wednesday, June 06, 2007
I just finished reading the book The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, and decided to write my own review of the book on my blog. I have to admit, I started reading this book months ago. It took me a little while to actually get into the book - the first part for me was pretty slow. As of a couple days ago, I was only on page 50, but in the last 24 hours, I read the remaining 250 pages. Kidd's imagery is incredible, and I can picture even the tiniest details as I read the text. I'm a pretty slow reader, reading every word of the book - I don't skim or speed read. At times I felt like I was actually where the story is taking place (South Carolina). I could smell the fresh honey, hear the hum of the bees, feel the stickiness of the hot Carolina air, my heart ached for the characters, and I was even brought to tears a couple of times.

I personally would label this book as historical fiction (although I don't know that it technically is). The setting of the book is 1960 America, just when blacks finally begin to gain rights. Even after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is signed into law, there are still huge barriers between the blacks and whites. It is interesting to see life from the eyes of a white fourteen-year old girl (Lily). Although she didn't consider herself a racist, Lily still had some of the feelings that had been rooted in her by society - like whites are better looking than blacks or whites are smarter than blacks. As the book progresses, Lily wishes that God had not created skin pigment at all, and comes understand that it is one's character, not the color of their skin, that defines who you are. The book teaches some powerful life lessons, including standing up for what you believe in, not living with regrets, the importance of giving and receiving love, dealing with grief, and living your dreams. I love the part of the book where Lily is speaking to her black friend Zach about how Zach wants to become a lawyer. Lily thinks this is odd, as she has never heard of a black lawyer. Lily says, "I've just never heard of a Negro lawyer, that's all. You've got to hear of things before you can imagine them." Zach replied with, "You gotta imagine what's never been." I love that line - you gotta imagine what's never been. It makes me want to take a look at my own life to see who I am and who I really have the potential of being. I give this book two thumbs up and highly recommend it!

2 comments:

Lisa O said...

Thanks for the book review Kim. Sounds like a good one for sure. I'm always on the look out for a great quick read.

Corinne said...

I can't wait to read it!