Monday, June 11, 2007

Saving the Earth

Monday, June 11, 2007
All right Ryan, you inspired me. Last week Ryan posted about only using one paper towel after washing hands in a public restroom. I have always been the kind of person that likes my hands really dry, thus using 2, if not 3 paper towels. I caught myself last week after pulling out two paper towels just as I was about to pull out a third to dry my hands. Since that point, I have made a conscious effort to only use on paper towel. Yes, it's tight, but one paper towel really can dry my hands. So I started thinking, what else can I do besides reducing the number of paper towels I use? Well, for years now, we've been recycling our plastic water bottles and our cardboard boxes (like cereal boxes). Also, last year we replaced all our regular light bulbs with the swirly CFL bulbs. And at work, I don't throw a single piece of paper away - everything either gets recycled or shredded. Also, in the afternoons I try to leave my light off in my office and just work off the light coming in through the windows (I have a whole wall of windows). But I know there's always more to do. I looked at the handy-dandy recycling magnet on my refrigerator that talks about all the different materials that I can recycle in my blue bin each week. I started a bag for junk mail, old magazines, and tin and aluminum cans. I was so proud of my bin this week (this isn't an actual picture of my bin, but it looked just like this). I had four brown paper sacks of different types of recyclable material instead of just two. So here's a challenge to all of my faithful readers :-) Just try to do one more thing. Just one. Not sure what an impact we'll have, but it'll sure make you feel better about doing your part!

0 comments: