Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Thank You to a Stranger

Wednesday, June 13, 2007
It was reaffirmed to me today that there really are genuinely good people surrounding us. As I was riding into work this morning, I turned onto University Drive and noticed something a bit odd. There was a person up ahead standing in the middle of the road - right between two lanes of traffic. What was he doing just standing there, I wondered. There is quite a bit of traffic around the University at 8:00 in the morning, and cars were driving right past him. Why wouldn't he move? As I got closer, I realized why. He was blind. He had a cane and must have somehow got disoriented, as he was about a street-width away from the closest crosswalk. I can only imagine how scared and confused he must have been. Then something happened that made tears well up in my eyes. I watched a girl who had parked her car in the middle lane run over to this young man to take his arm and guide him to safety. I want to say thank you to that blond-haired stranger. Thank you for getting that young man to safety. Thank you for reminding me about the importance of serving others. Thank you for showing me that when we are surrounded by darkness and fear and confusion, that we are being watched over, and that someone will be there to reach out to us and help us to find our way.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

What a touching story, Kim. I am seriously crying right now.

Lisa O said...

Tears all around on this one...I hope I can be this kind of stranger.

Anonymous said...

Wow, interesting all the perspectives. Those passing by, the person lost and confuseed, the Woman who stopped to help, and you, an observer of all of it. It is a story of hope. Thanks for sharing. ^_^