Monday, June 25, 2007

Power Rush

Monday, June 25, 2007
I remember clearly the first day that I rode my motorcycle on a 35 mph road. I cautiously turned out of a subdivision onto Ustick Road, and felt a huge rush as I accelerated to 35. Prior to that, I had gone only 20 mph in neighborhoods - it was amazing the difference that 15 mph made! Needless to say, the excitement of going 35 is long gone, and even going 55 doesn't thrill me like it used to (although I still love feeling the wind!). Well, last night I experienced that same rush that I felt last year... for the first time, I rode Ryan's Honda Shadow - a bike that is more than twice the size of mine. It was incredible to feel the acceleration. I was going 30 in a matter of seconds, and I was still in first gear (on my bike, I would have already shifted to third). A big smile spread across my face as I enjoyed the power of the bike under me. What a ride. I still love my little Rebel, but now know what excitement awaits me when I decide to upgrade :-)

3 comments:

Lisa O said...

Oh my goodness Kim, be careful! I don't want to sound like your mother...but have you read Michael's posts about trauma injuries from motorcycles?! I'm sure you're very safe and it does sound like fun!

P.s. Are you trying to catch up to Corinne's 100 posts? I could learn from you guys and update a little more often!

Kimberly said...

I do read Michael's posts, but I'm still not convinced that I'm more likely to get in an accident on my bike than I am in my Blazer! Did you see his post today - Michael said that the majority of the motorcycle trauma he sees involves those who don't wear helmets... I've never once ridden without one :-)

Corinne said...

Either way- you are one brave cookie. I grew up ridig dirt bikes but now that I am a mom- I am a total CHICKEN. But I do need some excitement. I am itching for an adventure. Kim, HELP!